February 1, 2016

Let’s Chia Bowl

                                                (picture credit @Maddy Ritchie)


Chia seeds, oats and fruits to jumpstart the day


All about those small black-brownish seeds. Chia is the new Superfood in our breakfast bowls.

Instagram feeds, blogs and nowadays even the Austrian supermarket shelves are filled up with those hyped seeds. They say Chia reduces food cravings, help you stay hydrated, lower blood pressure, are rich in Omega-3 and are packed with nutrition.

I have to admit that I had some doubts about the “Superfood”, especially because there tends to be lot of fuss and a big price tag for something that looks super weird and basically is equal to flaxseeds.

Well, I was a bit hesitant to jump on the chia seed band wagon effect. But my curiosity taught me better and now they are daily ingredients in my fruit bowl. They still don’t look very sexy and even don’t taste much but love how those small seeds leave me full until lunchtime.

Some people might roll their eyes or shake their heads when they read that:
What I love most about Chia? The slimy, oozy crazy texture!

Since I am a lazy kitchen person, I am addicted to breakfast bowls because it is a no-cook meal. Plus it is prepared very easy and tastes very yummy.  

Even though I make that almost every day I still get amazed by how much water Chia seeds can absorb. It is A LOT. 

After starting with a base of Chia seeds I add some oats and lots of boiled water mixed with unsweetened almond milk. When I am in a rush I prepare the Chia-oats basis in the evening. When the mixture is soaked in water I top it off with a mix of my favorite fruits and nuts or whatever I have at home. There are a million different options when it comes to toppings.

Every morning we wake up to mouth watering shots of Instagrammers breakfast bowls so immaculately arranged that it almost looks too good to eat.

Let’s be honest, no chia, acai or whatever-you-call it bowl look that amazing everyday. Most of the time I wouldn’t take a picture of my breakfast because nobody would believe me that this tastes good. I throw everything in a bowl add some water, yoghurt and cinnamon and mix it until it is a brownish dark oat mixture that looks like old baby porridge. It took me a while to figure out how to arrange my food to make it worth photographing.












1 comment:

  1. Muss sagen, das sieht aber ziemlich gut aus! Ich bin ein Mensch, bei dem auch das Essen gut aussehen soll, denn dann schmeckt es mir besser. Klingt vielleicht komisch, ist aber so ;)

    Liebe Grüße,
    Mimi
    http://mimilooves.blogspot.co.at

    ReplyDelete